Tuesday, 2 June 2015

Am I entitled to WorkCover as a Casual employee?

When you’re a casual employee, it can be easy to feel as though you’re not really a part of the organisation or company as full or part-time employees are. You may even feel a sense of insecurity and uncertainty about your job.

This is why many casual workers think twice before complaining about faulty equipment or lack of safety procedures. Many are reluctant to bring up issues or report to WorkCover in the event of injury, fearing that in doing so, they may lose their jobs. 

As this form of employment is by nature insecure, many casuals find it difficult to insist that health and safety regulations are correctly enforced. Therefore it’s more important than ever to ensure you know your rights so you can protect yourself from exploitation by unscrupulous employers. Lawyer and solicitor, Glenn Duker, offers a brief outline.

Your Rights as a Casual Employee

Whether you’re casual or full time staff, you’re entitled to a safe workplace and WorkCover benefits and protection.

If you are injured, you must do the following:
  • Notify your doctor that you have been injured at work and seek medical advice.
  • Report the injury to your employer and ensure that it is recorded in your employer’s records.
  • Notify your union delegate or report to your Occupational Health and Safety representative.
  • In serious cases, ensure that you lodge a WorkCover claim form.
It’s illegal for your supervisor or employer to intimidate you out of recording the incident or lodging a claim. Ensure that you make a formal complaint if they attempt to do so, as they can be prosecuted for this behaviour.

Casual workers are often in a vulnerable position, so it’s vital to be aware of your rights. If you need legal advice regarding an incident, get in touch with lawyer and solicitor Glenn Duker for years of experience in employment law.

No comments:

Post a Comment